Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Back in Athens...

Trees that look like large asparagus.

Palamedes Castle



Corinth Canal
This morning we left our hotel and ventured off to the archaeological museum of Nauplion. On the way there we stopped at the church where the first Greek president was assassinated. Nauplion was actually the first capitol city of Greece. The museum wasn't that exciting, but I say that about most museums. From there we walked back to our hotel and had a Turkish language lesson. Turkish seems much easier than Greek because our alphabet is the same. We packed up our suitcases and our bus driver drove us to the top of the Palamede Castle. Thank goodness for that because the way down was hard enough. Today was the only day I didn't wear my Chacos, and my rhinestone yellow boxes were not appropriate for walking down a thousand slippery, marble stairs. Our legs were shaking by the time we made it down. The bug situation in Greece is serious by the way! I was walking down and said, "Goodness Wheeze I feel like these damn bugs are just flying into me." She said, "Yeah I feel like a car driving down the road in Lake View!" She was exactly right, and it wasn't until this trip that I realized she was so squeamish about bugs. She and I don't typically do activities together than involve nature. After the castle we had lunch in Nauplion, and then the bus drove us to Athens. We stopped to view the Corinth Canal on the way. It's the canal that connects the Peloponnesus to the mainland. It was much more fascinating than I thought it would be, and the gas station there sold Haribo sour straws! I spent thirteen euros on three bags of sours. Mary Louise is worried about my teeth when I'm older.

It's good to be back in Athens again because it's familiar, but mainly because I have scalding hot water and excellent pressure. Those two things really make all of the difference. We are staying at a hotel across the street from the last one we stayed at. It's not quite as nice, but definitely suitable. The wifi here isn't free and the laundry is outrageously expensive. But who wants to carry around dirty clothes? I don't believe in washing in the sink without Granny, and our other option is self-service at a bar owned by a British man. We had dinner at some place that our friends had tried before. I wasn't really a fan. My chicken came out baked instead of grilled, and to me there is nothing more bland than baked chicken. I shouldn't complain, but I'm kind of over the dining experience in Greece. Uncle Louis I think it would get on your nerves too. All of the food is the same, and you wouldn't have the patience to wait on the check. Don't worry I don't either. But I swear the waiters over here think we want to sit there for hours. Ida told us y'all are going to Chania, and the food there is fabulous! Austin is running out of things to try over here because all of the menus are the same. I suppose we will be in Turkey soon enough, and introduced to a whole new world of food.

Athens is a city of protest at the moment. There are people camped out in the center of town on strike. It looks like Stadium Drive in Fayetteville before an exciting football game. Speaking of football, whose ready for September? Anyway, the Greek people are protesting the government because they think it is corrupt. You are probably aware of their horrible economic situation. Thursday is our second free day on the trip. This day happens to fall on the day that all of the government building will be closed. It is also quite possible that public transportation will be closed. None of us are really sure what we are going to be able to do, but I am confident that our teachers will properly direct us. I just want to be able to go shopping. Things will be closed because a major protest or demonstration has been planned. All of this is interesting to see.

For some reason I have forgotten to tell you about something hilarious on our trip. On the bus, we learned how to sing Old McDonald Had a Farm.....in freaking Greek! I always have it stuck in my head it's awful. My teacher sings it over a microphone. My ipod head phones aren't loud enough to drown everyone out. Right now I'm listening to Austin and my roommate Brittani talk about anime. I really don't know what they're talking about. It's a completely different world to me. I think it's like Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon. On that note I am kicking Austin out and going to bed!

Goodnight,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment