Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rural Greece


Monastery Appropriate

Laugh it up!

St. Lucas Greek Orthodox Church

St. Lucas Greek Orthodox Monastery

Hotel Leto


Today we finally got back to mainland Greece. I will miss Crete because they're food is more Americanized. It's sad I have to say that, but America really knows what they're doing with food. For breakfast, we stopped at a Greek version of a truck-stop as soon as we got out of the city. I was skeptical at first but it actually was pretty nice. I got a sandwich for the road and ate a little chocolate cake for breakfast. I always keep food in my purse because we never know when we're going to eat. Most of the time we don't eat lunch until two or three in the afternoon. I just started keeping sandwiches and oranges in my purse for when I get hungry. Our first stop in rural Greece was at a battlefield. It wasn't very excited but it was full of weeds and shrubs. The museum wasn't much better, but there was a large lion statue that was pretty intriguing. It represents Greek soldiers that died in the Battle of Thebes. Our next stop was the Greek Orthodox Monastery of St. Lucas. It reminded me of Subiaco a lot, and there were these obnoxious Greek children everywhere that were so fascinated by Americans. When we arrived, a man that worked there was pointing at some of our legs. Later we realized he was saying that our legs couldn't be exposed inside of the church, and he gave us these heinous skirts to wear. I'm not gonna lie though they were kind of comfortable. I did my second site report at this monastery on olive oil. They had a small olive oil exhibit because the monks used to make their own oil there. I think I did a better job on my second site report, and it really is so amazing how important olive oil is to the Greek way of life. Our bus then drove us to Delphi. We were told it only had three streets which got me excited because the cities here are so crowded. Our hotel is very nice and they even let Wheeze be one of my roommates. We were so surprised and we can conveniently watch Desperate Housewives together now. This hotel is the nicest and most spacious so far but the shower is the worst. It doesn't really have a door. I'd take a picture but I think the room might be to small to get the idea. I haven't tried it out yet, but every time I get the room with the weird shower. We ate at a yummy restaurant that the teachers recommended and now we are just getting ready for another day of sight seeing here in Delphi! 

Miss you,
Elizabeth


No comments:

Post a Comment