Monday, May 23, 2011

GREECE

Well I can't believe I finally made it to Greece after all of my silly hesitations. Athens is an extremely large city and everything looks very old, and I mean EVERYTHING. When we got off the plane we took a thirty minute train ride on what they call the Metro into the city to our hotel, the Herodion. Our hotel is quite lovely. It has little tiny balconies, hot pink curtains, nice bath tubs, hot water, and of course wifi. If you can imagine all of these things suit my needs. The hotel also has a very good complimentary breakfast; much better than the USA. This leads me to the food. Let's just say Greek food isn't my favorite but the salads are amazing. I like all of the food it just doesn't completely satisfy my hunger. I can barely read the menu and it is all very much the same type of food everywhere. The first night we had a welcome dinner which started off with wine and bread, followed by a salad, various appetizers, and your choice of beef or chicken. This meal was delicious however when it came to lunch I wasn't looking forward to having the same thing. This evening Mary Louise and I ventured off to a hard rock cafe in need of some fully loaded nachos and a margarita. We were a little worried that it is only the second day and we already want American food. Afterwards I got gelato at a shop close by our hotel.

Now I'm sure you are wondering about the sight seeing. It's very tiring and often boring. As for today we saw the Arch of Hadrian, Olympian Temple of Zeus, some Jewish museum, the Roman Agora, and the Acropolis. I'm actually surprised I remember all of those things, but the Acropolis was by far my favorite. We had to hike quite far to get up there and of course it's just a bunch of marble structures and columns but the view is absolutely breath taking.

The weather is perfect and not as humid as I thought. Today was so windy and Mary Louise and I were having to make sure our dresses didn't blow up. Early in the morning we walked over an air vent on accident and I think all eight lanes of the road saw parts of our butts. We only thought of Marilyn Monroe. I will say that Austin definitely keeps Wheeze and I laughing. He is always smiling and is really into all the history. We are just glad someone is. He is very energetic and just came into my room to make sure wheeze and I made it back from Hard Rock. He has been taking tons of pictures and has actually settled down from all the wine drinking. Tomorrow I make my first site report and hopefully that goes well!

XOXO, Elizabeth

Welcome Dinner
 
                                

Arch of Hadrian
Mom these roses are for you.
                                                      
                            

                                

Acropolis
                                    

                                        
My teacher
                                                    

Mary Louise, Sarah, and I
                            

Parthenon
                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment