Tuesday, May 24, 2011

More from Athens...



Today was another busy day as a study abroad student. Breakfast at seven thirty and out the door by eight thirty for some intense sight seeing. We started at the Theatre of Dionysus and then walked to the Athenian Agora. This is where I did my first site report on the Stoa of Attalos, an ancient shopping center. Don't get too excited when I say shopping, because it's really just an old-fashion market place except now its actually a museum. I was really glad to get one of my reports out of the way though. After the Athenian Agora we had a delicious lunch. I ordered a chicken gyro, cucumber tomato salad, and a pepsi lite (diet coke). Next we got on the metro so that one of the guys could do a report on it. All of this lasted until about four o'clock and this is when I got tired and cranky. We then went to the Acropolis Museum. Of course we were there for two and  half hours looking at ancient marble sculptures from the Acropolis. Keep in mind we had already been to the real Acropolis yesterday, but this is the place where most of the pieces are preserved and on display. The building was huge and modern with clear glass floors, but by six o'clock I was so over it. 

Mary Louise and I usually are at the back of the group. I guess we walk slow? We just stay back there and giggle. Austin has started to come back there to boost us along. A couple things I have noticed while being over here is that the public restrooms are much cleaner than the USA and their generic handsoap actually smells good. I'm probably the only one that noticed that, but mother I'm sure you're glad I'm washing my hands. Also there are a bunch of well-fed stray dogs everywhere. We think Mayor Valley sent them over here. They never bark or annoy anyone they're just asleep or wandering everywhere. OK and for all of you Chaco lovers out there, I think high heels are more comfortable. I'm very disappointed because I've never heard a bad thing about these shoes but Mary Louise and I both have blisters, not to mention their pretty hideous not to be comfortable. After the sight seeing Mary Louise, Austin, Nathaniel and I went to a restaurant our teachers recommended. Nathaniel is Austin's blonde, German twin. They are the same height, and if you can believe it he eats even more than Austin and is more into the Greek history. Me and Wheeze laugh at them constantly. 

I have to pack up a little to leave tomorrow to go to some mountain and then catch an over night ferry to Crete. Me and wheeze don't even have time to watch our Desperate Housewives obsession and sadly sour candy is no where to be found. Gelato does the trick I guess. More to come soon.

XOXO,
Elizabeth




Athenian Agora
                                                      
Stoa of Attalos, Doric Column
                               

Stoa of Attalos
  
Lunch
                                                                

Chicken gyro, tomoato cucumber salad
       
Nathaniel and Austin
                               
Darling little room
                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment