Friday, May 27, 2011

Greek Adventures


Notice the pebbles
Samarian Gorge
Calypso Restaurant
Mary Michael this horse is for you. The horses are for emergency injuries in the gorge.
Elaine's Beach...forgot the town's name
St. Mary's Look Alike
Climbing
Mary Louise and Demetrius
Eleutherai
Fried Calamari
View from behind Eleusis
Jamie this is the closest thing to a Razorback over here.
Poppies Everywhere

Yesterday morning we got up bright and early to eat breakfast and check out of the Herodion Hotel. A very nice charter bus was waiting for our group to drive us a little way out of Athens to Eleusis. Truthfully it was the the worst site we've seen so far. I know you all aren't worried about me being truthful, but it was strangely unmanicured and reminded me of Where the Wild Things Are. We got back on the bus and drove on the curviest roads out to a rural area and then stopped at a local yogurt place. The yogurt here is delicious, very tart and is served best with honey. While eating, we were talking to one of our friends Anna who mentioned studying abroad in Africa. I was like, "Oh wow Africa how was that?" She giggled and said, "Um I don't think you guys would like it very much." Everyone at the table just busted out laughing. She explained she stayed in a tent for a month and bathed twice. From there we took off hiking up a gravel road to Eleutherai, an old war fortification. I was stunned at the sight of it and we even climbed across the walls and towers. This was perfect because it was a learning experience, but we also got to engage in a fun activity. All of us loved it and I'm still thankful Austin didn't fall off the other side. He has no fear. Next we went to another war fort that was even more unmanicured than the first stop. By unmanicured I mean bushes, shrubs, weeds, wildflowers, and these awful prickly plants that are like miniature cactuses. The view was good from there but I don't think it was worth the knee-high hike through the weeds. There was a little tiny church up there, and by tiny I mean I had to duck to enter the door. Inside it was quaint and old, but there was a mural on the wall that reminded me of the one in St. Mary's in Helena. Unfortunately we had to hike back down the other side of the fort through even more weeds and thorns only to find that the taverna (restaurant) that we were going to wasn't open. If you can imagine Mary Louise was fiercely disappointed. This town was on the ocean and we actually compared it to Elaine, Arkansas. It was pretty but there was about one car on the road, two people on the beach, and one store that sold only ice cream bars, chips and beer. So for lunch we opted for Corona and pizza flavored Cheetos. The ocean was freezing so I only walked in a little ways. The beaches have pebbles instead of sand, which is pretty cool because I despise grainy sand. After the dip in the sea the bus drove us to board the ferry that was taking us to Crete over night. This ferry was more like a small cruise ship with pretty good food, but all we did was eat and sleep.
Today we woke up at 4:45 a.m. to be off the boat by 5:30 and back on another bus. The bus took us on more insanely curvy roads to a restaurant that was supposed to serve a "nice" breakfast. Each person was served an unpealed boiled egg and two small slices of rye bread. Once again Mary Louise was very disappointed. One of our friends said, "You guys are acting like the Simple Life," (show about Paris Hilton coming to Arkansas). I enjoyed my egg and hers and then the bus took us to the hiking entrance to the Samarian Gorge. It was very cold and even raining. I was acting like a baby and saying, "Oh hell no I'm not hiking in the rain for 15 kilometers." But off we went downhill on the rocky path in our rain jackets. Thankfully a girl named Allison had two backpacks and let me borrow one. I don't think my leopard Jessica Simpson tote would have been as suitable. It quit raining within the first 45 minutes, and as always Mary Louise and I were holding up the caboose of our group. A boy named Dylan is a new addition to the back of the group. His Greek name is Demetrius (mine is Ellie) and I don't call him anything but that. Our first conversation was about his love for Lady Gaga and his mannerisms and tone of voice reminds me of Zach Galifianakis. Austin stayed with Wheeze and I for the first half, but after a while I told him to go on because I knew he was itching for an adventure. Of course he and Nathaniel went off into the waterfalls and jumping over huge rocks. The teachers stayed with Mary Louise, Demetrius, and I. Don't worry they each had walking sticks and matching water proof outfits on; this was their eighth time through the gorge. We had a packed lunch, but the oranges over here are so juicy that I just ate a couple of those and a Snickers. There were water spouts everywhere to fill up our bottles, and instead of the latrines we chose to hide behind trees and rocks. This gorge reminded me of the Land Before Time movies and it was all rocks! If you looked away from the ground you'd trip and fall. Seven hours later we came to the end of the gorge, hurt feet and all when Mary Louise says, " This Gorg was not gorgeous!" Only she would say that, but we both really enjoyed it and were proud of ourselves undoubtedly. We had to walk a little ways on a dirt road next to sheep and goats that were on the other side of fences before we got to the next village. Collins I only thought of you.

 After the goats,rocky gorge and breakfast that seemed like it came from a barn, Crete actually turned into fabulous! Thavma is the Greek word for fabulous. We stopped at a restaurant next to the beach called Calypso that had ketchup, club sandwiches with mayonnaise , pizza and beer. The waiters spoke English and this time Mary Louise got some satisfaction. Then we layed on a nice beach in lawn chairs for about an hour. I was in heaven!! The people here just change from their clothes to their speedos or swimsuits on the beach. This custom is much different than the USA, and Mary Louise saw an old man's parts she didn't want to see. We got on a real ferry this time to go to another town in Crete because some of these beachy towns don't even have roads to get to them. In one of them I found sour candy and purchased all they had. 
Tonite we are in Chania, Crete and will be for the next few days. Our dinner here tonite was yummy and I already like Crete more than Athens. Tomorrow we have a free day! You know that means time for shopping and laying out! Sorry this was so long but it covers two days because we didn't have wifi on the boat!



XOXO,

Ellie 












No comments:

Post a Comment